Monday, November 5, 2007

Of Mime and Men

Of Mime and Men


October has come and gone and lots of news. First off, did you dress up for Halloween? Not many people did at work -- just two of us. I came as a mime in the fashion of Marcel Marceau.

I thought of going as a Goth, but I didn't want to scare anybody, and I didn't have the correct accessories, so I had an inspiration - go as a mime - same ensemble and same make-up equipment just different presentation. It was a good thing I didn't have a shift at the Reference Desk. It would be difficult to answer questions through mime!

That night, went to the Hilton Hotel where the Tree Bar Lounge had a Halloween event. They were having a contest giving away cash prizes for the best, scariest, and funniest. The winners were - a Greek Bust on a pedestal, a machete-wielding, head-carrying crazy man, and Super Sperm!

November 2nd, is All Souls' Day, and Guam celebrates by holding Mass and Services in the Cemeteries, and having picnics or family gatherings. My mother and I went to my father's grave, and it's was the first time on the island for All Souls. It is a different scene from the States. Lots of tents go up, and coolers, and foods, and families spending time together with their departed loved ones. On Guam, it’s a local government holiday, so lots of people have the day off to they can celebrate the holy day.

No comments: