Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My first 100 days








Hello, everybody

Just an update since my big career move back to Guam and to a new job at the University of Guam. I am approaching my 100 days as a Systems Librarian, and I am enjoying the job. I am glad I took the chance and moved out here. I feel I am making a difference, and I enjoy the work. They had no real systems person for about 4 years, so there's a lot to do.

And it has an international flavor. I am working with SirsiDynix folks based in Australia and New Zealand for Dynix tech support and migration discussions, I work with folks from EBSCO based in Seattle, and I am interacting with tech support on the East Coast, and in Malaysia and the Philippines.

We have intrigue. The Pres. of the Univ just announce he is retiring in Jan 2008, one of the Ref Lib. is also leaving in December at the end Fall Semester, and we almost did not get paid since GovGuam failed to release our allotment of $$. The Univ had to freeze spending to make payroll. I dove last Saturday after helping out during the International Coastal Clean day, I watch movies at least once a week - Thrifty Tuesdays, and I get excited when gas prices goes from 3.49/gal to 3.39/gal -- the prices hold for a whole month.

I will be teaching my first BI session - Bibliographic Instruction next Thursday. Teaching 10 students how to use our electronic resources. Both undergrad and graduate students, its a hands on training session so it'll be fun.
Hope all is well with you.

6 comments:

Chiquilla said...

Hi Maria!!

How are you? It's great that you are using your blog to keep us updated on your information. It sounds like you have an interesting job over there. I am about halfway through my SIRLS program at the University of Arizona. I'm really busy but somehow I'm managing. I will also start substituting at Answer Line to get some experience with Ready Reference.
Anyway, it's great to hear from you and I hope all is well. I'm will tune in frequently to ready your blog. Also you should get on Facebook. Everyone is on there and it's a great way to connect with friends. From KCLS, Dawn and I are there. You can see both of our pictures. If you send me your e-mail address I will invite you.
Cheers!
Jessica

Dawn of the Read said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn of the Read said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn of the Read said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn of the Read said...

Arg. Sorry about all the mis-posts. I'm trying to figure out why it isn't letting me post from my personal blog, rather than my work one. UG.

Anyhow...glad to see things are going well with the new job. Mine is good, too.

More soon,

Dawn

Chiquilla said...

Hi Maria,

Pat and I are working at Crossroads today and we were thinking of you and wondering how you are doing. Drop us a line if you have the time.

Take care
Jessica